A uni campus is a home away from home for your kidult. That’s why student safety is top of mind for the team at Charles Sturt University.
Right about now, parents across the country are asking the same question: where did the time go? It feels like yesterday that this tiny person arrived, completely dependent on you for everything. The basics – food, clothing, a home. Then guidance, support and education. And let’s not forget the most instinctual parenting trait: keeping your child safe.
It doesn’t matter that they are now all grown up and about to head to uni, ready for the next stage of their life journey. The safety of your kidult will always be paramount.
Sure, you want them to find their purpose and play their part in the world. Study at a uni that will equip them with the skills, confidence and connections to land that dream job and build their career.
(You can tick that off the list when they study a Charles Sturt. We’re Australia’s top university for graduate employment – and have been for six years running. That means, when your kidult graduates with a Charles Sturt University degree, they’ll become one of the job-ready professionals sought-out by employers.)
And there’s no doubt that you want your child to embrace a rich uni-life experience. One where they’ll make real connections – for life. Plus, have some fun along the way. Uni life is as much about what happens outside of the classroom as in it.
From the friends they’ll make during Orientation to the inspirational lecturers and tutors who spark your kidult’s interest, being part of Charles Sturt is an experience they’ll never forget. And whether they’re keen on study clubs, social clubs or sports clubs, there’ll be plenty for them to dive into on campus.
Student safety and campus security = parents’ peace of mind
Knowing that Charles Sturt will offer your kidult an exciting on-campus life and prepare them for their ideal career ticks two big boxes for you as a parent. Now to the third box: being safe and supported.
Living on campus is a home away from home and we work hard to keep all members of our Charles Sturt family safe and secure. At each of our six campuses there are many student safety and support initiatives that will give parents peace of mind.
- Each dormitory or block on campus has its own Residential Leaders. These are second- or third-year students who understand how new students feel, and they’re ready to help. Whether it’s to do with studies, the residences or just for a chat. And they’ll know all the Charles Sturt support services that are available to your child.
- Your kidult’s room will be like their castle – only they will have the door card or key for entry.
- What if your child locks themselves out? Our security team will let them back into the room.
- Our security teams are student-focused and regularly patrol all campuses. Studying late at night or on the weekends? Your child can request an escort from the security team. They chaperone your child to their room, the library or to their car. Plus, if they let the security team know where they’ll be, security can organise regular walk-bys.
- Blue emergency phones are scattered over every campus. They automatically connect to the security team, so if there’s an emergency all your child has to do is pick up the phone and help will be on the way.
- As well as keeping an eye on our campuses, the security team can provide first aid and help 24/7 if an emergency response is needed.
Supporting your child to be their best
Another integral part of Charles Sturt’s safe community feel is our Charles Sturt University Campus Alerts platform. It’s a mass messaging communication used to quickly contact everyone on campus in the case of emergency. Most often though, Charles Sturt University Campus Alerts is a way that your child can quickly and easily request assistance from Campus Security. Using this tool on their phones, students can request urgent assistance, a call-back or a security escort.
At Charles Sturt there are also many initiatives and supports to help your kidault stay in good physical, mental, spiritual and sexual health. From help to cope with exams, to mental health resources, counselling and general health promotions – we will support them to be their best!
Our After-Hours Crisis Support Line is available between 5pm and 9am weeknights and 24/7 on weekends. We also have a Mental Health and Wellbeing Support Line available between 9am and 5pm on weekdays. Both lines offer immediate connection for students experiencing distress and needing immediate support and can link students to ongoing support and counselling.
As soon as your child accepts an offer to study with Charles Sturt University, we’ll be there to support them – every step of the way. We’re here to help. Visit our parent info hub or reach out to our friendly team if you’d like any other uni questions answered.